San Marcos Vehicle Repossession Attorney
If you are behind on payments for a vehicle, it is possible that the vehicle will be repossessed. When this happens, you might be left with a lot of questions regarding your rights and options. At North County Bankruptcy Clinic, our San Marcos vehicle repossession attorney can help you understand your rights as a vehicle owner and can guide you through the process—helping you reclaim your vehicle, if possible.
Schedule a free consultation today by calling (760) 444-4262 or contacting us online.
What Is Repossession?
Repossession is a process in which the lender takes back a vehicle that is owned by a person who has failed to make payments. The lender will hire a company that specializes in repossessing vehicles. These companies are often referred to as repossession agencies.
The repossession agency should send the vehicle owner a letter that notifies them of the missed payments and the date on which the vehicle will be repossessed. The vehicle owner has the opportunity to make arrangements with the lender to make payments and avoid repossession.
If a vehicle owner fails to make arrangements with the lender, the vehicle will be repossessed. When this happens, the vehicle owner should receive another letter from the lender. The letter will also include information on how to get the vehicle back. The vehicle owner has a certain number of days to get the vehicle back from the repossession agency.
If the owner fails to get the vehicle back from the agency within the allotted time, the vehicle will be sold at auction. The proceeds from the sale will go toward paying off the loan. The vehicle owner will then have to pay the difference between the loan and the sale price of the vehicle.
Reclaiming Your Vehicle
If you have been notified that your vehicle will be repossessed, you may be able to get it back. If your vehicle is still in possession of the agency, you can contact them and make arrangements to pay what you owe on the loan.
Let Our San Marcos Repossession Attorney Help You
If your vehicle is going to be repossessed or has already been repossessed, you may be wondering if there is anything you can do to get it back. Our attorney can help you determine your rights and take action as a vehicle owner.
Our attorney can:
- Help interpret the complex laws and regulations surrounding vehicle repossession, providing clear, comprehensive advice tailored to your situation.
- Review your loan agreement meticulously, ensuring the lender has acted within the bounds of the law during the repossession process.
- If your rights have been violated during the repossession, we can help you build a strong case against the lender, potentially leading to the return of your vehicle or compensation.
- Negotiate with your lender on your behalf, possibly restructuring your loan agreement to make payments more manageable and avoid future repossessions.
- Provide valuable guidance and support throughout the legal process, ensuring you fully understand each step and that your best interests are always represented.
At North County Bankruptcy Clinic, we can provide legal guidance if you are considering bankruptcy—helping you determine what debts you can discharge and develop a plan, so you can get back on your feet.
To learn more about how we can help you during this difficult time, contact us at (760) 444-4262. We offer free, no-obligations consultations to start the process.